The Kappa Beta Chapter's History
The Kappa Beta chapter of Sigma Kappa was first known as Kappa Phi; a local sorority at GVSU. Kappa Phi was founded on October 22, 1993 by six women for the betterment of women at Grand Valley. Those six women; Karole Koos, Liz Kluck, Danielle Riffle, Amy Warwashana, Denise Cleary, and Kathy Kozler knew from the beginning that they eventually wanted to affiliate with a national organization.
The women of Kappa Phi were granted membership to Panhellenic Council in January of 1995, and on September 1, 1995, officially affiliated with Sigma Kappa National Sorority.
On a very snowy January 27 in 1996 the Kappa Beta chapter of Grand Valley State University became the 116th chapter of Sigma Kappa National Sorority. The women of the Kappa Beta chapter still honor the founding members of Kappa Phi by continuing the philanthropy they started, American Heart Association, in combination with our National Philanthropies.
The Alpha Omicron Chapter of Sigma Kappa was established in 1951.